Prince of wales pier
Falmouth, Cornwall, TR11 3DF
Welcome to Prince of Wales Pier
The Prince of Wales Pier is a pier situated within Falmouth Inner Harbour with its own local legislation. It is used by ferries, trip boats, small fishing vessels and local leisure craft. It is approximately 150 metres in length with a solid and suspended section incorporating six sets of landing steps with a further set in the small dock.
The Pier in Falmouth is a central hub year-round ferry services to Flushing and St Mawes as well as seasonal tripping boats going up the River Fal and to the Helford Estuary. It is also a tourist attraction in its own right with events that take place on it together with those simply taking a walk along it. The inner basin on the Pier is a safe haven for visiting dinghies (tidal restrictions apply).
There are 25 outhauls along the northern edge of the quay.
The foundation stone for the pier was laid on 20 July 1903 by HRH Prince of Wales, later King George V, after which the pier was named. It was designed by the engineer WH Tressider and was opened on 5 May 1905 by the Earl of Kimberley. The pier was taken over by American forces during World War II, it was re-opened to the public in April 1951.
The Pier has a memorial to the St Nazaire raid where five Victory crosses where awarded, the raid was called “The Greatest Raid of all Time” A service of Remembrance takes place every March. The Pier was used as an embarkation point for the D day landings.
Fishstrand is possibly oldest quay in Falmouth built in the 17th century, on November 4th 1805 Cpt Lapenotiere – Master of H.M.S Pickle landed here with news of the victory at Trafalger and the news of Lord Nelsons death. Cpt Lapenotiere would travel to London (271 miles) in 38 hours using 21 horses. The end of the causeway is marked by a Red cardinal marker. The Pier (finger) was added in 1871