Welcome to Newquay Harbour
Newquay Harbour is a fishing and pleasure Harbour, there are tidal moorings, operating seasonal activities and all year-round fishing vessels. It is the largest fishing port on the North Cornwall coast for the landing of shellfish. The RNLI also have a station located in the harbour.
The Harbour consists of three piers within the 3 acre (1.2 hectares) site. There are Harbour Orders for Newquay Harbour dated 1838 and 1844 for maintaining the Pier and Harbour.
The present harbour in Newquay was built by Richard Lomax in 1833 and completed by JT Treffry, mining entrepreneur, although there was originally a medieval quay at Newquay, evidenced as early as 1439.
The 19th century acted as a catalyst in the transformation of the settlement from small village to successful town. Lomax commenced work on the present day north and south piers but died in 1836 before the work was completed. In 1838 mining entrepreneur, JT Treffry, bought the estate that was offered for sale and which included the harbour, and completed its construction. Treffry had ambitions to turn Newquay into an import/export harbour serving his interests in metalliferous mining and china clay extraction inland.
Photo credits – Droneman / Channel Images