Penryn Harbour Office, Exchequer Quay, Commercial Road, Penryn, TR10 8LS
Welcome to Penryn Harbour
The Port of Penryn, a statutory Harbour Authority of approximately 100 acres (40 hectares), is located in the western part of the Fal Estuary
Penryn Harbour is a statutory Harbour Authority and located to the west of the Fal Estuary from Coastlines Wharf to Islington Wharf, it comprises approximately 100 acres and has Harbour Orders dated between 1870 and 1920. The harbour has a working quay for fishing vessels, yacht marina and a number of boat repair yards, boatyards and specialist marine services.
There are approximately 260 recreational tidal moorings and are two pontoons with allocated berths and space for visiting vessels.
As one of Cornwall’s oldest towns, it was once a flourishing seaport and grew to become one of the principal ports on the coast. Sitting upon the head of its own river it was, before Falmouth, the major port of the south west of England and the harbour carried a fair amount of trade due to the natural expanses of deep water. There was a tannery near the quay and hides were imported from the Americans, together with fruit, vegetables and coal
The development of Cornish tin and copper mining in the 17th Century resulted in many exports of tin being handled together with granite from the local quarries. Indeed, Penryn became known as the “Granite Port” and large quantities of stone were shipped out for the construction of dockyards and other works both home and abroad.
The Port Authority was under the jurisdiction of Penryn Town Council and Harbour Orders dated between 1870 and 1920 enact most of the 1847 Harbours, Docks and Piers (Clauses) Act as well as bringing in some local legislation.